Thursday, April 22, 2010

Re: Reflections

Once again we have come to the end of a course but this time, things feel a little different.

This class has really taught me so much more into the subject of communication. In normal communication classes, you are taught how to communicate in certain situations but never why people communicate the way they do and to look into the working mechanisms behind the words that people speak, write and type. This takes a really new spin for me on the topic of communication and I've definitely learnt so much more with regards to how i should converse with people of different cultures and genders.

Also, I feel that Dr Deng has paced the class very well in the way he started with simpler ideas like speech acts and speech events leading on to more difficult things like cmc communication and written discourse. This enabled me to not only fully grasp the true context of the ideas but to also have enough time to digest the information. Honestly, the content of this course is not simple child's play and it can get quite technical at times but it's never too much for us to handle.

Another thing, my coursemates. There was always an air of common understanding between all of us, either when we were presenting our views on topics in class or just gathering among ourselves having casual banter; we always respected each other and everybody was always willing to chip in their own views regardless of personal or communal agenda. This honesty in class is one thing that really strikes me because in a seminar, it is not only the teacher that makes the class but also the students that truly make it an event to remember.

All in all, I've really had fun in this module and I have learnt a new facet of communication that I never thought i'd discover on my own. Would I regard this course as fruitful? yes. Did I regret joining this course? Definitely not! Within these 13 weeks, I really have met some amazing people and friends.

Keep in touch friends! All the best in your communication with others.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jon,

    It's been a pleasure having you in class for this module. Your insightful and well placed comments injected tons of fun into our lessons. You're a very opinionated person and that makes for interesting conversation!

    I agree that this course has indeed taught us tons on the different forms of discourse and the nuances behind it.

    Take care, CMC you soon! =]

    -Jean

    ReplyDelete